Tuesday, November 25

No Snickering Allowed ~ Plus a Tour Of My Very Own Kitchen

Last April, when I placed my order for a new flock of poultry, I ordered all straight run (except) for the Aracauna's (because they lay easter eggs). Recently, I posted telling all of you about my huge chicken which we had named Ugly Betty laying her very first egg.

Okay, my face resembles that of a beet, Ugly Betty , is not a Betty at all, in fact; this bird could not even lay an egg if it tried... It's a rooster! I'm quite ashamed, that I didn't recognize this.







I am however, way over do on my eye exam, gotta make that appointment!


This "birds" now going to be Ugly Bernie!



All righty then, my lovely friend Paula over at The Fraker Farm asked for a peek of my rooster decor (since we are on the subject of roosters) so, I took a few pictures to share with all of my blogger friends.



This is a veiw from the diningroom looking into the kitchen.








An old trivet my daughters found at a yard sale for me. It hangs on the wall behind the stove.








I found this border at a local wallpaper & paint store, just had to have it for the kitchen. I love it!









A few throw rugs from Wally~Mart to go with the border.








A roman shade I made last summer, matches the throw rugs, and border.


Now, come on in, sit right down and enjoy a hot cup of coffee while I share a favorite recipe with you.
This is a recipe our oldest daughter requests every Thanksgiving; it was found in a Country Women magazine, way back in 1999.
Magic Pumpkin Buckle
1/2 cup butter; melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Filling:
3 cups cooked or canned pumpkin
1 cup evaporated milk
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 TBLS. all- purpose flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon ( I use more, about 1 TBLS.)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. of each; ground ginger, cloves, & nutmeg
Topping:
1 TBLS butter
2 TBLS sugar
(since, I love cinnamon, I add a little to the topping as well)
Pour melted butter into a 13x9x2 inch baking dish; set aside. In a medium sized bowl; mix the flour, sugar, baking powder & salt. Stir in milk and vanilla until smooth. Pour this into the 13x9x2 baking dish; set aside. In a large bowl, stir together pumpkin, milk, eggs,then combined the remaining filling ingredients. Pour this over crust mixture (do not stir) dot with butter and sprinkle with sugar (and cinnamon; if you added it) place in a preheated 350 degree F oven; bake for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Top should appear a golden brown. Serves 12
Happy Thanksgiving Folks!

5 comments:

Amy said...

I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing near you. It's hard to tell the roos from the hens during the awkward teenage phase. I know there were a few that I wasn't sure about for a few weeks this spring.

Your kitchen tour was just wonderful. You have a lot of counter space, something I could use more of.

Everyone is cooking such yummy recipes! Yours sounds like a wonderful dessert! Thanks for sharing it.

Paula said...

Haha! You mean "Ugly Betty" is really "Ugly Bobby"? *snicker*
Oh Mel... that's so funny- I think anyone who has ever had chickens has made that boo-boo.
Thanks for the kitchen pictures!! It is bee-u-tiful!!

BittersweetPunkin said...

LOL...funny story!

I have a rooster kitchen too!! My DH has banned me from guying anything else with a rooster on it...LOL.

Have a Blesses Week~
Hugs,
Robin

Nancy M. said...

I had a hard time telling my roosters apart at first, sometimes it's tricky. I still have one rooster who I've never even heard a crow from.

I love your rooster decorations! Very nice.

Mel said...

Hey everyone, glad to see you visited, and got to take a sneak peak of my rooster kitchen.

I now know Ugly B is a rooster, he has decided to crow now that he's made a fibber out of me...

There are at least 2 hens laying now, we are getting 2 eggs a day. Hubby & I decided when they are in full operation we'll be getting 24 eggs a day, we are going to donate to a local food bank or charity. With the economy falling, we need to grow as a community and think of our friends and neighbors.

God bless,
Mel