Saturday, October 3

Autumn Season is Upon Us

The Autumn season has shed some color on us here in the Northeast. It is so pretty to look at, and the smell of maple from under here is amazing. Vicky, do you remember sitting under the huge maples at Grandma's & Grandpa's? I'm so thrilled, we have our own maples now. In the spring these trees supply many folks with maple syrup. Although, we do not have the equiptment to do this, we have a person who comes every year, taps the trees and gives us two quarts of syrup. Now, that's the best!


Last weekend, we took a little drive about 45 minutes south to our favorite little town to pick apples. We try to go every fall and pick our own from the orchard of our choice. This year, as you can see from this picture the trees and the ground was just loaded with fruit. Did you all notice, we have our jackets on, fall is really in the air, it started to mist a bit just prior to us leaving the orchards.
I love going for apples, this is something we used to do with my mother, and on ocassion, my Grandma. Grandma was one who could not stand to see something go to waste (sometimes to the extreme) she would collect mostly apples from the ground with spots on them, they were less expensive, she'd just trim around the bad spots. She would take them home, peel them (that was something we liked to watch her do) no one could peel an apple as fast as she could, and all in one long peel... Make applesauce and boy was that good, a real treat! Here we are after loading our bushel (2 bags) into the trunk of the car, each enjoying an apple we picked.
On our way back home, just a few miles from the orchard, was this awesome fence. I really love this style, can you imagine, all the cedar posts you'd have to cut to put into this, but in the end people like me would drive by and just have to take home a picture. I could see this stretched out along our own pastures, we have a few cedars...

















I have finished decorating my sofa table, hubby tells me almost everyday how much he likes this table (He has even requested for me to make a TV stand) now this is my very first attempt at crafting tables of any kind and especially from tree branches. I'm already dreaming of what to put together next, maybe one day I will see what I can do, then try to sell a few. These tables are popular in the Adirondacks and go for nearly $700 for me I enjoy working on these sorts of things.
With the daytime highs of 46* F it got a tad bit chilly for my liking, first fire in the fireplace this year. Now, we usually don't start burning wood until late October, so hope you all down south are ready. A few flurries have touched the grounds in the mountains already, winter is creeping in on us.
Well, that just about brings you up to date on what we have been doing the last few weeks. Time for me to browse some blogs.
Blessings,
Mel

8 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

It's cool here too. They are saying maybe snow this coming week. We've tapped our maple trees a couple years ago and got a quart of syrup. It wasn't bad at all and the kids and B had a lot of fun doing it.

Gail said...

I love your table!!! Great job.

Paula said...

I love the table, Mel!! And I love seeing your pictures- you are such a pretty lady.
Going to the apple orchards is one of my most favorite things to do this time of year!

QuiltedSimple said...

Lovely pictures! We've burned a few fires in the woodburner over the last couple weeks - seems chillier somehow this year
Kris

Leaon Mary said...

Ohmigosh, that table is INCREDIBLE!
GO GIRL! You are one talented gal and I agree with Paula, you're beautiful!!!

Seein all those ripe apples made me cravin apple pie. lol Now look n see what you've gone n done! lol

LOVED your pictures! ENJOY THIS WONDERFUL AUTUMN WEATHER!
Blessings to you and yours,
holykisses Lea

Kay-The Rustic Cottage said...

What a beautiful blog!! I love all your Fall pictures. THank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Such pretty pictures. It has been rainy, cool and foggy here. Stay warm and enjoy the fire! blessings,Kathleen

Mel said...

Has anyone told all of you how sweet you are lately, well then I just did. Thanks so much for all your touching comments, you are the bestest friends ever...

Hope to see you again soon.

Blessings,
Mel