Thursday, January 22

A Lunch Date

There I was standing in front of the kitchen sink, when the phone rang. It was my hubby, "what are you doing for lunch" he asks; "I'm eating whatever I can find in the fridge". Why don't you meet me for lunch at The Herrings Inn, okay, give me a little bit to get ready!

Hubby, waited for me to arrive before we entered the restaurant. I think, it might be under new ownership, the parking lot was bare, I'm not to sure about the place we'd chosen for lunch, hubby reassures me that he has eaten there and it's okay. I ordered a bowl of Tomato Soup with a BLT on white bread (allergic to something in the wheat breads) hubby ordered a Turkey Melt and Bowl of Tomato Soup.

Soup always comes to the table prior to the rest of the meal, so we start sipping on our soups. "This is different, hubby says, how so, I asked, I don't know, some kind of a spice, says hubby. I taste it closer and decide it is seasoned with bacon grease (heavily) it is thick, and not much Tomato flavor. Hubby points out that the couple a few tables away didn't eat theirs either. By now, our sandwiches had arrived, a BLT is known for all it's insides to slide out, mine was, I took the bread apart in an attempt to restack it; psst~I said to hubby; look at the mayo it's clear, Hubby says; "bcause they cook the bacon and stack it on top steaming hot" my reply was "ordinarily yes, but feel the bacon it's cold right out of the fridge". The lady is standing at our tablenow, asking what's the matter, so I take the sandwich apart to show her and she simply says, it's fresh, I wouldn't feed you bad food, Okay; I reply. Once she is out of sight, I take my knife and scrape some mayo off and show hubby. He being so kind hands me half his sandwich, she comes back to our table, "Don't I know you"? Not sure, we've eaten here a few times before, yes, must be that's where I've seen you. She wouldn't leave and stood there talkiing to us, I ended up eating half the BLT and maybe half the soup.

I know, my Grandmother would be upset with me to think I'd wasted the food, however, my stomach is sensative and I didn't want to get sick from the transparent mayo and mega greasy soup. While the lady was away from the table I'd tell hubby, what I'd add to the soup to give it better flavor, You wanna know what hubby told me; he said that's because you're a really good cook. I'm still recovering from the egg on my head (where I fell out of my chair and whacked my head on the old iron radiator! ) LOL Okay, so I'm stretching it just a little...

I'd like to think, I'm a good cook, it is something I love doing. I love cooking new things and having friends over to share in the feast.

Let's have a potluck!!! You'll all come over won't ya, come on it will be fun...

3 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

WOW, doesn't sound too appetizing to me either. Now I'm sure your hubby was right in saying you were a good cook. Neat guy he is. I love my hubby tells me the same thing.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

It seems to be sometimes pretty scary to think of who might be fixing our food and if it is safe. Potluck sounds wonderful...what time? {: Have a wonderful weekend, blessings, Kathleen

Gail said...

Now you know why the parking lot was empty!